Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are safe). What did you grab?
I love this Daily Prompt because it made me want to clearly define “essential.” And here is what I grabbed:
1) My purse since it is a link to and protection from the world. Who can do without lipstick, a hairbrush, mirror, hand sanitizer, some cash, a credit card, a cell phone and a camera? I am assuming a handbag counts as one item to grab. Maybe I should carry my Kindle in there too, and some daily food and drink. I think I need a bigger purse now.
2) The Emergency Fire box containing important documents, even though I have forgotten which documents are in there.
3) My Computer for all the old family photographs that can be reprinted. And I think I put photos of all our furniture in a computer file too (in case of a fire). I can also keep blogging if I have my computer!
4) My Bag of Chargers to keep all my electronic gadgets going – cell phone, computer, Kindle reader. Must not forget the charger things.
5) A Winter Coat, depending on the weather. Or a bathing suit. Who knows, I could wind up in a motel with a heated pool. Or I could head south and lounge on a beach whilst waiting for the house to be rebuilt!
This prompt really got me thinking because it is not only a grand writing exercise, but I realize I do need to update things. For instance, I should add more family photos to my computer files because it would be easier to retrieve one computer than to lug all the albums out. Besides, this prompt calls for five grab-items and I have at least 40 albums!
I thought of adding a change of clothes to the must have grab list, but I don’t have a change of clothes waiting and ready. What exactly is in our “fire box” anyway? I should check that too and add more papers to forget. And how important is the winter coat or the bathing suit? I guess I had visions of standing out in the snow watching my house burn. Talk about a nightmare! But, I have my purse so I could conceivably buy needed clothing.
Is there something else I should grab that would be more important? I know we are only supposed to choose five items and the people in my life are assumed safe, but I would definitely grab my husband (and maybe send him back inside) because he could grab five more items!